Treating Toenail Fungus in Meriden, CT
Toenail fungus can be unsightly and make you nervous to remove your shoes in public. Toenail fungus removal from your doctor at Dr. Tina Boucher can improve your foot health and rid your feet of any symptoms associated with toenail fungus.
Signs and Causes of Toenail Fungus
It’s important to keep an eye out for any symptoms that you may be battling toenail fungus. Some signs to look out for are:
- Thickened nails.
- Yellow or brown discoloration.
- Brittle or crumbly nails.
- Misshapen toenails.
- Foul smell.
- Darkened color, caused by debris buildup under the nails.
Some of the causes and risk factors for toenail fungus include:
- Older age.
- Constant heavy sweating.
- A history of athlete’s foot.
- Going barefoot in communal areas, such as a pool or locker room.
- Diabetes or circulation issues.
Toenail Fungus Removal
Your doctor may recommend different treatments for your toenail fungus depending on the severity of your issue. Some examples of treatments they may suggest are:
- Oral Antifungal Drugs- Oral drugs are the first treatment plan your doctor may suggest along with a topical cream. Oral antifungal drugs treat the problem from the inside and you may have to take these anywhere from six to twelve weeks, depending on the severity of your condition.
- Medicated Nail Polish- Your doctor may prescribe a medicated nail polish that you apply to the nail and surrounding skin. Treatment time may vary for each person.
- Medicated Nail Cream- You may be prescribed a topical antifungal cream to apply to the nail. This cream will penetrate through the nail to the fungus underneath.
Contact Your Doctor Today!
If you struggle with toenail fungus, it’s important to reach out to your podiatrist as soon as possible to figure out what form of treatment will be best for you and removing your toenail fungus. Call today at (203) 238-3668 to book your consultation.